1. To make a syrup: bring the cider, sugar, spices, sultanas, raisins and orange zest to the boil.
2. Break the bread into small pieces and mix into the syrup in a bowl. Cover with clingfilm and leave overnight.
3. The next day, melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the apples on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir until they are lightly coloured and then leave to cool.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 175ºc/gas 4. Fold the eggs into the bread mixture, then fold in the apples and put the mixture into a loaf tin or a deep round cake tin, lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the mixture is firm. Dust the top with the castor sugar while it’s still hot.