‘Lemon tart is an ideal summer dish and one that I love. There’s nothing better than using our local produce to prepare this dish and then eating it sitting in the garden with a glass of white wine,’ says head chef Vivian Marshall of Kitley House.
1. To make the pastry: sift the flour with the salt, add the grated lemon rind, and rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, then add the egg yolk and whole egg and pull together into a dough.
2. Knead the dough until smooth, then wrap in clingfilm and chill for one hour.
3. Roll out the dough and use it to line a 10 inch/25cm pastry case. Blind bake for 15-20 minutes at 180°/gas 4.
4. Preheat the oven to 150°c/gas 2. To make the filling, mix the eggs and sugar until smooth, then mix in the cream. Mix in the lemon and lime juice and zest.
5. Bake the tart for 30-40 minutes until the filling is set. Allow to cool.
Kitley House Hotel
Yealmpton, near Plymouth, PL8 2NW.
Tel. 01752 881555.