You will need
Westcountry braising steak 600g, cubed
Plain flour 2 tbsp
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Banana shallot 1 large, chopped
Garlic 2 cloves, minced
Red wine 300ml
Beef stock 350ml
Bay leaf 1
Carrots 2 large, cut into chunks
Celery 2 sticks, cut into chunks
Turnip 100g, peeled and chopped
Thyme leaves 1 tbsp, chopped
- Season the cubed beef and dust with flour.
- Heat a large casserole dish and add the oil. Sauté the onion for 2 minutes then add the beef and garlic and seal the meat.
- Add the wine and reduce by half, then add the beef stock and bay leaf and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 200°C / gas 5.
- Add the vegetables, thyme and a little seasoning of salt and pepper to the pan and then put into preheated oven and cook for a 1 hour or until tender. Serve with creamy mashed potato.