From Rachel Demuth, of Demuths Restaurant and the
Vegetarian Cookery School in Bath. ‘What I love about this recipe is that the oven does the work for you, turning the squash and root vegetables into a sweet caramelised warming dish,’ says Rachel.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°c/gas 6.
2. Combine the squash, carrots, parsnips, garlic and shallots in a large roasting dish with 2 tbsp olive oil and roast in the pre-heated oven for approximately 25 minutes, turning gently once or twice, until the squash is just soft.
3. Meanwhile, place the beetroot in another roasting dish
(otherwise it will colour the squash pink) and stir in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes.
4. To make the dressing, cut the pomegranate in half and, over a bowl, ease out the pink seeds, discarding the white pithy bits, which are bitter. Mix the pomegranate seeds and juice with the olive oil, pomegranate syrup and balsamic vinegar and season to taste.
5. To serve, pile the baby spinach leaves onto a serving dish or individual plates, top with the roasted vegetables, and drizzle over the pomegranate dressing.
2 North Parade Passage,
off Abbey Green,
Tel. 01225 427938.