Zack Hawke, of The Mariners Public House in Rock, shares his recipe for crispy oysters with pickled cucumbers and lemon mayonnaise. ‘Oysters can get a little soft as a result of the warmer waters during October. This crispy coating makes a great contrast,’ says Zack
You will need
Porthilly oysters 12, shucked and cleaned of grit
For the pickled cucumber:
White wine vinegar 100ml
White wine 100ml
Cucumber 1, halved lengthways, cored and sliced
For the lemon mayonnaise:
Plain mayonnaise 100ml
Lemon 1 small, juice
Salt to season
For the coating:
Egg wash 2 eggs and 25ml milk, mixed
Panko breadcrumbs 200g
- For the pickled cucumber: heat the water, white wine vinegar, white wine and sugar until boiling. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before refrigerating until chilled.
- Place the cucumber slices in the liquor and leave for 2-4 hours.
- For the lemon mayonnaise: mix the lemon juice into homemade or shop bought mayonnaise and season to taste.
- For the oysters: coat the oysters lightly in the flour, then the egg wash, and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the oysters in a deep fat fryer at 180°c for a minute or until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and season with salt.
- Serve the oysters with the pickled cucumbers and a generous spoonful of lemon mayonnaise.