This summer, beloved literary figures from classic children’s books are inspiring a delightful menu of delicious desserts at Dolton’s The Rams Head Inn
Time for a little smackerel? A certain honey-loving bear is licking his paws at the thought of chef Alex Pallatt’s crunchy honeycomb. Gorgeously golden, it’s usually served with salted caramel tart and honey ice cream in the dish, The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh.
You will need
Caster sugar 200g
Golden syrup 100g
Bicarbonate of soda 3 tsp
- Line a 4 litre plastic ice cream container with a large sheet of silicone paper so it comes up the sides with no gaps.
- Gently heat the butter, sugar and syrup in a thick bottomed pan (make sure it’s big as adding the bicarb will cause the sugar to expand).
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat until it becomes a light amber colour – this usually takes 5 minutes.
- Carefully add the bicarbonate of soda and swirl to mix. Pour into the silicone paper quickly. Leave to set and don’t touch!
- Once cool, peel the silicone paper off and store the honeycomb in the ice cream container.