You will need
Mixed candied peel 25g
Plain flour 120g
Nutmeg & mixed spice a pinch
Soft dark brown sugar 112g
Black treacle 1 dsp
Butter 112g, softened
Almonds 25g, chopped
Lemon ½, zest
Orange 1, zest
- Soak the dried fruit in the brandy overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 140°c/gas 1.
- Place the flour, spices, sugar, eggs, treacle and butter in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the brandy soaked fruit, almonds, lemon and orange zest.
- Pour into a lined cake tin, cover with baking parchment and bake for 3-4 hours until cooked through.