The Devon crab and fresh mangoes in this potted starter from Martin Kinahan, head chef at Corse Lawn House Hotel, make the summer dish deliciously light
You will need
Crab 1 large, cooked
Butter 250g, melted
Root ginger 50g, grated
Coriander 20g, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown bread 4 slices, to serve
For the salsa:
Mangoes 2, finely chopped
Cucumber 1/2, finely chopped
Red chilli 1/2, chopped
Sugar 1 tsp
White wine vinegar 1 tsp
- Remove the white meat from the claws and gently flake the brown meat from the shell of the crab into a bowl, being careful to avoid the dead man’s fingers.
- Mix the crab meat with the butter, ginger, coriander, salt and pepper, and press into four ramekins.
- Top each of the ramekins with a the extra melted butter and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- For the mango salsa: mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- To serve: turn out the chilled crab from the ramekins onto a plate and serve with the salsa and toasted brown bread.
Chef’s tip: ‘Before mixing with the other ingredients, tip the crab meat onto a metal tray to make sure all of the shell has been removed.’
Recipe created by Mrs Hine and adapted by head chef Martin Kinahan.