‘Soda bread is quick and simple to make, yet delicious. It doesn’t include yeast, so won’t need kneading or resting like most breads and you can add any flavours you wish – try adding apple and fennel seeds to give it a fruity, wholesome twist,’ says Tom Hazzledine of BakerTom.
1. Weigh the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the buttermilk and mix thoroughly until all of the dry flour has been mixed in. Don’t work the dough too much as it will release the glutens in the flour.
3. Tip onto a floured surface and shape into a round of about 2½ cm in height.
4. Place onto a non-stick baking sheet, flour the top and cut a cross half way through the dough. Sprinkle with oats if you like for added texture.
5. Place into a pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes at 190°c/gas 5 until golden brown.
6. Let the bread cool before serving.
Pick up Tom’s bread at his Truro and Falmouth shops and bakery cafe in Pool. See the website for details.