‘Pickling the apples for this recipe needs to be done three weeks in advance,’ says Tom Scade, head chef of Tides Restaurant at The Mariners.
1. Place all the pickled apple ingredients except the apples in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for half an hour.
2. Cook the apples for 5 minutes in the pickling liquor, then remove them and place into kilner jars.
3. Reduce the pickling liquor by two thirds and leave to cool. Once cool, pour over the apples and leave for three weeks.
4. Marinate the mackerel fillets in the rice wine vinegar for 25 minutes. Wash off and pat dry.
5. Then make the remoulade. Julienne the celeriac, sprinkle with salt and leave for 20 minutes, then wash off and pat dry. Julienne the apple and mix with the celeriac, a tbsp of the mayonnaise, shallot, 1 tsp of grain mustard, a pinch of chives, lemon juice and seasoning.
6. Take 4 slices of the coppa ham and place between two baking sheets, then bake at 160˚c/gas 3 for 8 minutes.
7. Then make the grain mustard mayonnaise. Mix the remaining mayonnaise with 1 tsp grain mustard and a pinch of chives, then let it down with a little lemon juice and water.
8. To serve, season the mackerel and blacken the skin with a blow torch or under the grill (optional). Place on top of the remoulade, coppa ham, coppa ham crisps, pickled apple, celery shoots and grain mustard mayonnaise. Dress with a little lemon oil.
The Mariners, Rock, Cornwall, PL27 6LD.
Tel. 01208 863679.