Back by popular demand! Try our foolproof scone recipe for fantastic results. Serve with clotted cream, jam and sliced strawberries for a summer treat.
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7/220°c.
2. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
3. Make a well and pour the milk into the dry ingredients, a little at a time, using a palette knife. Try to handle the dough as little as possible – handling works the gluten which results in a tougher scone. When mixed the result should be quite sticky and moist. Add more milk if required.
4. Leave the dough to rest for 20 minutes, then turn it onto a very lightly floured surface and roll or press out lightly until about an inch (or more) thick. Don’t roll it too thin or you’ll end up with a biscuity scone, which nobody appreciates.
5. Use a floured cutter to cut out rounds and gently place them on a greased baking tray. Be careful not to twist the cutter or you’ll get an uneven scone.
6. Brush a small amount of milk on the top of each scone, then bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.